George Harwood Boutwell, 1911-2006

Papa died in his sleep early this afternoon. Thanks in large part to Hospice, his last week was peaceful, and my family was able to say good-bye together.

For a long time, I have tried to be more like him: quiet, patient, humble, and quick to laugh. I am so glad we came down here last week. I will never forget the smile on his face when Erin and I put Madelyn in his arms.

This entry was posted in Family. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to George Harwood Boutwell, 1911-2006

1. jeff says:

Condolences.
    But good that you were all together.

Thanks. It was damn good.

quiet, patient, humble, and quick to laugh

Erin points out that one out of four ain’t bad.

3. senioritis says:

Please accept my condolences on the passing of such a wonderful person.

4. tengrrl says:

I’m very sorry. Hugs.

5. jeff says:

Which one are you? You don’t laugh. At least not at my jokes.

6. Julie says:

I’m sorry for your loss. May man happy memories comfort you and your family during this difficult time.

7. Dan says:

What a nice tribute. There are so many regrets that can be drummed up in life, especially once you begin to raise your own children. It may not mean much at this time, but hearing you tell of bringing your daughter and grandfather together makes me feel a bit less diminished by all of the the possibilitites. Thanks for sharing, and take care.

8. John says:

I’m sorry too. I’m glad he and Madelyn were able to meet.

9. Chuck says:

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

To Madelyn and Papa, it was everything.

Thanks again to everyone.

11. Nancy Elder Rubio MD says:

My deepist sympathy for your loss.

George was the cousin of my mother, Leah Evelyn Brooks (Bertha Boutwell’s daughter). I recently wrote George as part of an effort to trace the Boutwell family tree. Despite growing up in Lake Worth, Florida I never met George. Even as he struggled towards the end, he nonetheless took the time and effort to answer my letter. I miss the opportunity to meet him and regret never getting to know him.

12. I am sorry to here about George. I am Lewis Boutwell’s grandaughter and was online looking up our family tree and came across this, my condolences.

13. Manny says:

Hi,

I purchased Mr. Boutwell’s home in January of this year. I absolutlely love my new home! I am an architect and am in the process of restoring the home. As the home is on the local register of historic places, I often wonder about the people that lived there. It would be great if you could give me some insight into his life, involvement in the community, history of the home, etc.

Manny, I’ll email you shortly.