My parents wrapped up a visit earlier this week. My father loves to paint, which clicked nicely with our current Big Renovation Project, which is getting the 600sf room in the front of our house in shape. (More photos.) The day before my folks left, he and Erin put up the final coat of paint. We still have to finish clearcoating the window trim and recondition and remount quite a bit of trim we removed to facilitate painting, but the bulk of the work is done.
My portion of the job was preparing the walls before priming: digging out cracks, scraping down alligatoring, skimcoating, patching, caulking etc. I’m not satisfied with the work I did; some of the patches are great (e.g. you can’t tell they were done), but quite a few are visible. Feh.
While the painters worked, I put together my portfolio for promotion to associate professor. (Western does promotion before tenure; the latter is in year six.) I don’t mind collating all the proof of my awesomeness (letters from committee chairs, publications, etc.). However, writing the “narrative summaries” drives me batty. They’re like Jasper Neel’s “Three Reasons for Stopping X,” except the topic is “promoting Bradley.” But I can’t bring myself to crank out a bunch of crappola, either. So I whack my head against them and try to make them halfway decent.
At least I found out yesterday that I’ve got very little work left to do before the document is done.