- spent a lot of time reading journals on their list of journals? I see First Monday, but they just converted to OJS.
- submitted an article to a journal using OJS?
- seen an installation which doesn’t use frames on articles?
- used another software package which provides similar functionality?
I’m also thinking about hacking on WordPress to make it do what I want (like as the CCCOA crew has done with Movable Type). I’ve written about what we think online journals should do; to be specific, here’s what I hope for:
- all the features of CCCOA–integration with del.icio.us, strong metadata handling, works cited & citing with links when available
- good ole standards-compliant XHTML and CSS
- front page which includes a weblog and/or rips the RSS feed of a weblog
- robust searching
- smart handling of multiple formats
- export to and interoperation with existing metadata systems
OJS does a lot of that, to be sure, and it has a plugin architecture, which appeals to me. And they’re even moving forward on single-sourcing from word processors via XML. Pretty interesting…