Cider, October 2011 After a three or four month hiatus because of my summer travel schedule, I’m back to brewing in earnest. The dining room is full of fermenters: blonde and wit from a club boil, milk stout Chris and I made Saturday, and now cider. Erin Taylor found a source for local apple juice, so Sean made a trip to pick up some for interested parties. I haven’t made apple cider in five years or so. Other than obvious reasons, I’m not sure why. It’s pretty darned simple. Wild yeast aficionados can just put the raw juice in a carboy (open or closed) and push it in the corner. While I like wild ales and beers, I want a more predictable result. Folks who like still cider can dose the juice with Campden tablets (sulfite), then pitch their own yeast, then dose it again to stop fermentation and bottle. I like a dry cider, and I don’t care for sulfites. And they don’t care for me. So here’s my process, at the request of Justin and Alla:

I made a starter culture with two sachets of Montrachet champagne yeast. The yeast was fresh, so it took about 12 hours to come up. (Gotta love a good local homebrew shop.) The next morning, I dumped all 10 gallons of the juice into my brew pot and heated it slowly to 150°. (I used to go to 170°, but that’s not necessary.) Lid on, to keep the aroma in as much as possible. Once the juice was up to temp, I cut off the heat, wrapped the pot in a doubled-up blanket, and gave it 40 minutes, checking the temperature every ten minutes or so. It stayed constant, falling only to 148°. This time/temperature combination effectively kills most (five or six nines) of the wild yeast, bacteria, etc. which naturally come with raw apples.

I chilled the pasteurized juice to 90° with my immersion chiller, then sucked off a half gallon for Madelyn and Amelia. I pitched the yeast, decanted the juice into two carboys, and hauled them inside. Four hours later the cider had frothed over; by nightfall it was rolling along with four inches of bubbles on top. Today (three days later) it’s clicking along nicely. From here I’ll treat it like a beer: rack it to secondary fermentation when it slows down and stops foaming, then prime and bottle once testing with a hydrometer shows most of the sugar is gone. OG 1.052, so this will cap out at 7% ABV, though somewhere around 5 or 6% is more likely. Drink after a month or so in the bottle, and it should keep for at least six months, maybe longer pending its acidity.

So, back to brewing. And maybe back to blogging.

This entry was posted in Beer and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.